Sunday, January 9, 2011

Children of the Sea

Of the short stories we have had to read in class, I think that Children of the Sea by Edwidge Danticat was the most interesting to me. Since the story is written as a series of letters with the authors expressing themselves through their writing, it felt very personal, and I felt as though I was being trusted with the information. I could almost feel some of their pain, and I felt really bad for them. It made me feel very appreciative that I live in such a safe environment and helped me recognize all of the privileges I take for granted.
It's amazing how strong the characters love for one another is. The male character is stuck on a boat escaping Haiti, while the female character is enduring life in Haiti. They write to each other for as long as they can, and their love for each other is ultimately the reason they choose to live. The characters in this story were so unbelievably strong, I could hardly believe they were about the same age as me! It was really upsetting hearing the girls story, and I still don't understand how she could accept the way her life was at home. 
This story was truly fantastic and eye-opening. While reading I was anxious to learn of the fate of the characters, and was quite disappointed when there was no concrete ending. Honestly, the horrible things that probably ended up happening I probably would not have wanted to read about, and even though the ending the author created didn't exactly explain what happened, I think it was appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment