Monday, February 14, 2011

Black Boy

I think this story is beautifully written. Although the content Wright is writing about, the way he portrays it does not make life seem nearly as horrible as I'm sure it was. I like and dislike the novel because of this. On one hand, many of the books that I have read that were written about a black person in this time period are generally about the injustices they face in life. I'm not saying most books are written like this, I'm just saying of the books I have read. In a way it's interesting to get a sense of the other things going on in Richards life besides being treated poorly--certainly his struggle with his mother when she becomes ill is intriguing. It bothers me to some degree that Richard doesn't focus very much on what is going on around him: blacks treated inferior to whites. In the town where Richard grew up, Natchez, we learned that it was one of the worst places in the country at the time with racism. Even though Richard was young at the time, he did not really tell any stories of black mistreatment other than hearing a few stories about a white man beating a black man. All in all, I really do enjoy this novel, and I hope that as the story progresses and Richard begins to develop a better grasp of what is happening around him he will further explore the issue of racism during his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment