Monday, February 21, 2011

Propaganda 2011

Propaganda. I have always learned about ways dictators in history have utilized it to try and brainwash people to help carry out some sort of negative plot. When I really think about it, though, propaganda is still alive today and can be found in our everyday lives. Though propaganda certainly is used in a variety of ways, I would like to focus on how it is used when it comes to advertising. Ads in magazines and commercials on television in a way use propaganda. They try to convince someone to buy something by using different tactics, however, they always fail to mention the negative things that can come from their products. I think the perfect example of this is McDonalds. It's well known that McDonalds is extremely unhealthy, but if you ever watch their commercials, they don't speak from a health aspect. Rather, they show children having fun and enjoying their food while playing with little toys that come with their meal saying "I'm lovin' it". Though this advertisement does not lie about anything, it is misleading. I know that when I was a child, before I understood how unhealthy the restaurant chain is, after watching a McDonalds commercial, I wanted to go to McDonalds to get cool toys and have fun like the children in the ad I had seen. I think that feeling that these advertisements sends to people is the modern-day propaganda that exists everywhere, yet is not often recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment