Thursday, September 9, 2010

Introductions




I have been playing the flute forever. Well, maybe not forever, but it sure seems like it. I first picked up the flute at the age of five. Over the years, I've competed against flutists of all ages and levels. People always ask me if I'm going to play flute professionally when I'm older, but the funny thing is, I don't really have an answer. Although I do love the flute, over the summer I picked up the guitar and found I have a strong passion for it. I've been playing for hours almost everyday, trying to teach myself everything I can.

Every summer I go to sleepaway camp InTheMiddleOfNowhere, Michigan for a month. We take activities like sailing, archery, rock climbing, waterskiing, outdoor living skills, and much more. It's my favorite time of the year, and the people who go there are the ones I consider my best friends. We all know each other in a different way than we know our friends from home because we live together. Sadly, this year was my last year as a camper, but since all of my friends from there live in the North Shore, it's easy to take the Metra out to see them when we want to get together.

When people first meet me, they often ask me what my family origin is, because although my skin is not very dark, it has an olivey undertone and my hair is almost black. After I explain to someone that my family is from a variety of countries scattered throughout the Middle East, their response is usually something along the lines of "so you're not Mexian?!"

3 comments:

  1. Remy, you are quite dedicated to music and I admire that. While I do play the trombone, I'm not dedicated to it the way you are to flute and guitar. It's cool that you met people outside school and such. Hope you do go into music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello remy, i haven't met you before and was sad that i didn't really get a sense of who you are in this blog. You just talked about what you do and something about your physical appearance. i'm sure you have more personality than this (even though i don't know you)!!! if i sound critical... well i guess thats how i am and i'm not trying to be rude or anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok! I really appreciate your comment. I didn't really know what to expect for my first blog so I sorta skipped over a lot of things I probably should have included and just focused on some specific things!

    ReplyDelete